skip to main content
The County of DuPage
Wheaton, Illinois

How Do I Get A Domestic Relations Case Before A Judge?

  1. You must first decide why you want this matter to go before a Judge. (What are you asking the Judge to do with your case?)
  2. DuPage County Civil Department is now a mandatory electronic filing system. You will use the website to do all civil filings.
  3. You will first need to register yourself with i2file. Once you have registered you will log into your account with the username and password you created. Write them down, as you will need them every time you want to log into your account in the future.
  4. On the i2file main menu you will see the “scheduling presentment” option to choose your court date. You must give enough time to meet the requirements of the Supreme Court Rule 11 and the 18th Judicial Circuit Court Rule 6.04 for service of the Notice of Motion and Petition (by mail, you should allow at least five (5) Court days and for service in person, three (3) days). You must be a party of record on the case. (A party of record is defined as any person and/or attorney that has filed an appearance with the clerk.) i2file will generate the Notice of Motion for you once you have completed filling out the scheduling presentment page.
  5. You will complete a Petition/Motion form #2271-1 available online. State your reason for the relief being sought. If you need additional space to explain your reason to the Court attach form #2271-2 or an 8½x11 sheet of paper to the Petition.
    • Fill in the case caption area. The names of the Petitioner and the Respondent remain the same as when the case was originally filed even if a party is now known by a different name.
    • Fill in your name, address, city and phone.
    • Fill in your name, address and phone number in the lower left hand corner of the form. Where it states Attorney Number, show the words Pro-Se (by yourself).
    • Sign your document.
    • You will keep your original document.

    Once completed, you will scan your original Motion/Petition into your computer. Upload your document to your i2file account. You will submit your document to the clerk’s office via i2file for approval. ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE IN PDF FORMAT. You will receive an email confirmation once your documents have been reviewed. Once approved, your documents will be electronically file stamped and in your i2file account for you to access and print

  6. Make at least one (1) copy for each party being served and one for your personal file.
  7. If you are asking for modification of an order(s) of court, a Comprehensive Financial Statement Form must be filled out and mailed to the opposing parties (DO NOT FILE THE COMPREHENSIVE FINANCIAL STATEMENT WITH THE CLERK).
  8. You must appear in Court on your assigned court date. Have copies of all documents with you, especially those that are required to support the Petition that you have filed. The Judge may want to see filed copies and the proof of service on your Notice of Motion.

(rev. 8/17)