skip to main content
The County of DuPage
Wheaton, Illinois

Election FAQ

CategoriesTop 10 Questions  
Vote by Mail
Early Voting
Election Judges
Election Workers
Party Affiliation
Poll Watchers

Vote by Mail Voting

How do I Vote by Mail?

Complete and submit the online Application to Vote by Mail or call the Election Division at (630) 407-5600; TDD: (630) 407-5631 to request a Vote by Mail Ballot Application. Complete and return the application to the Election Division as soon as possible.  Once available, the ballot will be mailed upon receipt of the completed application.

The form may be picked up from any DuPage County registration location as well.

The last day to mail a vote by mail ballot to a voter is the Thursday (5 days) prior to the election. 

Voted ballot must be postmarked by the day of the Election in order to be counted


Why wasn't a postage paid return envelope included with my Vote by Mail ballot?

The DuPage County Election Division was the last jurisdiction in the State to pay return postage for Vote by Mail ballots. Due to a change in the law that opened up Vote by Mail voting to all citizens, it is now cost prohibitive.


How can I vote if I am in the military or a citizen overseas?

The Federal Voting Assistance Program website provides information to U.S. citizens covered by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).

U.S. Service and citizens of the United States temporarily residing outside the U.S. may submit a Voter Registration/Vote by Mail Ballot Request at the beginning of a calendar year to receive Vote by Mail ballots for all elections in that calendar year.

Follow instructions for completing the On-Line version of the form or to download the form.

PLEASE NOTE:  This form is only for U.S. Military and Citizens of United States residing overseas.

Mail completed form to: 

DuPage County Clerk
Election Division
WHEATON, IL  60187-1087


 How do I Vote if I am a Permanently Disabled Voter?

If you are a registered voter who has a permanent disability or physical incapacity of such a nature as to make it improbable that you will be able to be present at the polls at any future election, you may enroll in the Permanently Disabled Vote by Mail Program.

An Application for Identification Card by an Elector Who is Permanently Disabled/Affidavit of Attending Physician form must be completed (also signed by the voter's doctor) and submitted to the Election Division in order to be enrolled in the program.

Once enrolled in the program the Election Division automatically sends an Application for Vote by Mail Ballot by an Elector who is Permanently Incapacitated form and ballot to the voter for every election held in the five-year period following enrollment in the program. 


How do I Vote if I am a Resident of a Healthcare Facility?

Contact the Vote by Mail Department at 630-407-5607. 


If I mail in an Application for Voter Registration, can I Vote by Mail?

Yes, however you must submit the voter registration application along with the required identification. (copy of current and valid photo identification or copy of current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter).

If you do not provide the required identification with your mailed in application for voter registration, then you will be required to provide the proper identification the first time you vote at a polling place. 


Can I still vote after I move?

Voter eligibility depends on when you move. If you move within 27 days of an election within the same precinct, you can vote a full ballot by completing the appropriate affidavit at your polling location.  If you move more than 30 days before the election within the county and you do not transfer your registration, you can vote for Federal offices, in an even year election only, after completing a "Fail Safe" affidavit at your old polling place.  In an odd year election, you are not eligible to vote.

In a Federal Election, if you move within 30 days before the election outside of your precinct, but you still live in the State, and do not transfer your registration, you can vote a full ballot in your old polling place after completing an affidavit. If you moved more than 30 days before the election out of your county and did not transfer your registration, you cannot vote.

Early Voting

How can I vote early?

DuPage County voters may vote "early" at the DuPage County Fairgrounds beginning 40 days prior to an election up until the day before Election Day.  If you are not registered to vote, you may register and vote during this period at the DuPage County Fairgrounds.

Beginning 15 days prior through the day before the Election, several additional sites throughout DuPage County will offer registration and early voting as well.

DuPage County voters may also vote by mail beginning 40 days prior to an election.


Where can I get more information about early voting?

Voters interested in Early Voting can call the DuPage County Clerk Election Division at 630-407-5600 or go to /Election/Voting/37061/ for a complete list of early voting locations (when available) and updates on the Early Voting initiative.


Election Judges

How much are Election Judges paid?

Base pay for a Judge of Election is $130 for Election Day.

A judge who has completed the online biennial school of instruction and testing will receive an additional $30.00.

In addition, the election judges who calls the judges, contacts the polling location for Monday night setup and election access along with the pickup of election supplies and returns them at the conclusion of Election Day will receive an additional $15.00 each way.


What are the Qualifications of an Election Judge?

To qualify, you must:

  • be a citizen of the United States
  • be a registered voter in DuPage County
  • be of good repute and character and not subject to the registration requirement of the Sex Offender Registration Act
  • be able to speak, read, and write the English language
  • be skilled in the four fundamental rules of arithmetic (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication)
  • be of good understanding and capable
  • not be a candidate for any office at the election
  • not be an elected committeeperson
  • Illinois Statutes require bipartisan representation in the polling place.  An individual must declare the party he/she wishes to represent.

What kind of training will I receive as an election judge? I have never done this before.

Training is both in-person and online.


Why am I not working in my usual precinct?

If a committeeperson failed to make a decision on placement, the party chooses. If neither the party nor the committeeperson of the precinct take the appropriate steps, the Election Division selects judges for a particular precinct, filling spots where needed.


What is a tested judge?

A "tested" judge is an election judge who has attended the training session (held every other year) and successfully passed the official examination with a score of 70% or higher. 

The term is for a 2-year period, beginning on the date of the November election in an even-numbered year and ending on the date of the March election of the next even-numbered year.

In order to receive the additional $30 for each election worked, every election judge is required pass the biennial training & testing, regardless of prior participation.


Will I work as a judge in the precinct where I live?

Precinct committeeperson decide on precinct assignments and send their choices to their party chair. If a position is available in your precinct, efforts are made to locate you there. Otherwise, you will be kept in your home town unless you state differently.


How do I become a certified judge?

You may contact either party or your precinct committeeperson and let them know you are interested in doing so. This can be done any time after the General Primary Election.


What is a certified judge? Do I get paid extra for this?

A certified judge is one who is chosen by either the Democratic or Republican Party to work in a particular precinct for a 2-year period. Re-certification takes place after the General Primary Election in an even-numbered year. There is no extra pay for being certified.


How do I become a judge?

To become an election judge, complete the election judge form below to express your interest.

 Election Judge Application

Election Workers

What is a Student Worker?

Student workers assist the Judges of Election when they return election supplies on Election Night to the DuPage Center in Wheaton.

Pay rate is $11.00 per hour.  Hours are approximately 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm. Minimum age is 14 years old. Student workers must have a Social Security number as well as at least one form of identification in order to work on Election Day.


What is a Field Representative?

The field representatives are trained personnel who serve as a link between the Election Division and the Judges of Election in the polling place on Election Day. Each field representative visits assigned polling places lending support to the Judges of Election.  Pay is a flat fee of $200.00 plus mileage for the day.

Field Representatives start at 6:00 am and must be available until approximately 9:00 pm on Election Night.


How much will election workers be paid?

The pay for Election Workers is as follows:

  • Field Representative:  $200.00 plus mileage 
  • Student Workers:  Minimum wage at current Federal or State standard (whichever is higher)

How does the payroll process work for payment to election judges?

DuPage County employs over 3,500 election judges. All of the tasks that each judge performs must be accounted for, including supply pick-up and delivery, schooling, and  Election Day activities. This information is entered into the computer so that payroll reports can be run for the payroll department, who reviews each report in depth.  Checks are printed to coincide with the next pay period (payroll is run every two weeks). Once printed, checks are mailed out immediately (usually about 6 to 8 weeks after the election date).

If a check is not received within one month after the checks were issued, our office may be contacted at (630) 407-5600 so that we may issue a new check.


What is a Healthcare Judge? How do I sign up?

Healthcare judges are Judges of Election who go to state certified health care facilities on the Saturday prior to Election Day to assist residents of the facility who are enrolled in the Healthcare Program complete the voting process. Usually two judges (one from each major political party) assist voters at a facility to cast their ballot.  Most Healthcare Judges also serve as precinct judges in the polling place on Election Day. Healthcare judges receive a flat fee of $40.00 - plus mileage to those judges who return supplies to the Election Division.

To become a Healthcare Judge you may call the Election Division at (630) 407-5600 or email the Election Division.


If there is no phone available to use in the polling place on Election Day, how do I get reimbursed for using my cell phone?

Submit a copy of the entire cellular bill which itemizes the calls made on Election Day, indicating which charges pertain to calls made from the polling place to the Election Division. You will be reimbursed for these calls with a check as soon as possible (usually within 2 to 3 weeks of the Election Division's receipt of the bill).


What kind of supplies are the field reps equipped with?

The night before each election (or earlier, if possible), each field rep is given a detailed map of the polling places assigned. It is up to the field rep to route his or her own day based on this map. Each rep also receives a cell phone and AC adapter to use throughout the day to contact the Election Division. Full instructions on how to use the voting equipment is provided, as well as a log to record notes about each polling place's activities.

Field Representatives will also be provided with additional supplies to distribute to your polling locations if needed.


As a Field Rep, where will I be assigned, and how many polling places will I be responsible for? 

The Election Division attempts to assign the field reps to polling places near their residence as best it can. On occasion, a field rep will be asked to cover a territory outside of his or her familiar area. The number of polling places assigned is usually between 10 and 15. The field rep is expected to make at least two to three stops during the course of the day at each polling place. If issues arise, a trip back to any polling place would be worked into the schedule.


What are the primary responsibilities of field representatives?

Field Reps are the link between the Election Division and Election Judges on Election Day, providing assistance and support at the polling places. A field rep can expect to work from 6 a.m. to about 9 p.m. on Election Day, and is expected to oversee the opening of a polling place in the morning and must be available to assist in closing another in the evening.



What is the State of Illinois HAVA Plan?

HAVA establishes a series of voting requirements, minimum voting standards, and new federal programs. All states must provide voters with:

  • Opportunities to cast provisional ballots
  • Access for persons with disabilities
  • Voting information, such as sample ballots, voting instructions, and a statement of voter's rights.
  • Opportunities for voters to verify their selections, correct any errors, and notice if they over vote (i.e. vote for more than one candidate for a single office) before they cast their ballots

Procedures to make complaints when voting problems arise. The new law compels states to:

  • Require identification and verify new voters
  • Create new statewide computerized voter lists
  • Eliminate punch card voting systems
  • Train poll workers in the law's new requirements
  • Include check-off boxes for U.S. citizenship and being 18 years of age on all mail-in voter registrations forms

The law also:

  • Creates a new Federal Election Assistance Commission to study problems and make recommendations for improvements
  • Establishes federal programs to expand poll worker recruitment
  • Provide federal money for states to implement HAVA's new provisions and to improve the administration of elections


What is the purpose of the HAVA Act?  

After the problems seen in some states during the 2000 Presidential Election, Congress recognized a need to standardize some elements of federal elections, and appropriated Federal funds to help states make those reforms. The Act is the result of the negotiations between the House and Senate on exactly how those reforms should occur.

The Act refers specifically to Federal elections, but because State and Federal elections are usually conducted simultaneously, it will impact almost all elections. The Act applies to all states and territories, and all of these areas must submit a plan that explains how the Act will be implemented locally.

The Act does not shift the control of elections to the Federal level but rather it shifts responsibility for complying with Federal election reform laws from the local to the state level, and sets a number of ground rules that states should follow to provide some uniformity in elections. For instance, one of the provisions of the Act specifies that each state must determine exactly what constitutes a legal vote on a ballot.


What is the Help America Vote Act (HAVA)?

The Help America Vote Act is the common title for a Federal Act signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 29, 2002. Officially, it is Public Law 107-252, or codified as U.S.C. 15301-15545. Sometimes, it is also referred to as The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) for its principle authors, or as H. R. 3295, which was its designation as Congress finally enacted it.


Party Affiliation

Since Illinois does not require Party declaration at time of registering to vote, what happens when I arrive at my polling place and request a Non-Partisan ballot?

A Non-Partisan ballot in a Primary Election allows a voter, who has a referendum within their jurisdiction, to vote only on the referendum. If there is no referendum relevant to the voter, then a particular party ballot would be requested in order to vote in the Primary Election.


I am currently registered in DuPage County but would like to change the party affiliation on my registration. What is the process I need to follow to do this? What forms are needed?

Your party affiliation is determined at the time you vote in a primary and request a ballot for a particular party. However, an individual who has signed a petition for a candidate of a particular party may not request a party ballot for the opposite party in the primary.

In Illinois you are not required to declare a party at the time you register to vote, you are considered independent until the time you cast a party ballot at a primary election. Consequently, there is no form to change party affiliation.


Is there such a thing as a registered independent or are you just an independent by default if you haven't registered with another party?

Due to the fact that in Illinois you are not required to declare a party at the time you register to vote, you are considered independent until the time you cast a party ballot at a primary election. There is no Independent Party in Illinois.


I do not want to declare a party affiliation. How do I vote for just the propositions?

If a proposition exists, and you are eligible to vote on the referendum, the polling place will contain a Nonpartisan ballot which would contain just the referendum.


Do I need to change party affiliation prior to election (primary) day or can I select either party's ballot when I vote?

Your party affiliation is determined at the time you vote in a primary and request a ballot for a particular party. However, an individual who has signed a petition for a candidate of a particular party may not request a party ballot for the opposite party in the primary.


Poll Watchers

Is there required paperwork that needs to be filed in order to have a person work as a poll watcher?  If so, where can I get it and when does it need to be filed?

A candidate must request poll watcher credentials from the State Board of Elections or the Election Division.  A request may be faxed to (630) 407-5630, indicating the number of credentials required, as well as what unit of government he/she is running for. The candidate then completes the credential by assigning an individual to a particular polling place.  The poll watcher must relinquish the credentials upon entering the polling place. The credential remains with the Judges of Election.  Consequently, the poll watcher is required to have a credential for each location to be visited but is allowed to leave and enter the polling location provided he/she signs in and out on the form provided by the election judges. For even year elections, committeepersons will receive credentials from their party chairs, who will be issued all the credentials. We do not give out credentials to individual committeepersons.

Poll watcher credentials are also available to qualified organizations of citizens, Proponents and Opponents of a ballot proposition and State nonpartisan civic organizations. Notification must be made to the Election Division no later than 40 days prior to Election Day, by any bona fide State nonpartisan civic organization, including the names and addresses of its principal officers in order to qualify for poll watcher credentials.



What if I change my name after being registered?

A registered voter who has a name change, but lives in the same precinct as the previous name registration, may vote after completing the appropriate voter affidavit at the polling place.

A registered voter who has a name change and moved outside the precinct of the previous name registration within 27 days of an election, may vote at the old precinct polling place after completing the appropriate voter affidavit.  In both cases, the affidavit will be used to make the necessary changes to your registration file.

A registered voter who has a name change and moved outside the precinct of the previous name registration more than 27 days before an election, must re-register under the new name and address before the next election in order to be eligible to vote.


What are the voter registration requirements and qualifications to vote?

In order to register to vote, you must meet these qualifications:

  • You must be a United States citizen
  • You must be at least 18 years old on or before the next election (OR for a General Primary, must be 17 and will be 18 by the General Election)
  • You must live in your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election
  • You must not be convicted and in jail
  • You cannot claim the right to vote anywhere else

Can I register to vote on Election Day?

Beginning in 2016 you will be able to register and vote at your local precinct on Election Day in Du Page County.


Can I register at a public assistance office?

Yes. Any person who requests public assistance will be given an opportunity to register to vote. Again, if you are already registered, there will be no need to register again unless you change your name or move to a different address.


Can I register to vote by mailing an application to my election office?

Yes, under Federal law, citizens may apply to register to vote by mailing in an application. When you register by mail, your mail-in form must be postmarked prior to the close of registration and a copy of a form of identification is required. The address for mailing the application is provided on the form. For more information about registering to vote by mail, contact the Election Division office at (630) 407-5600 or visit the Register to Vote page.


Where and how do I register to vote on-line?

You are now able to register on-line if you have a valid Illinois Driver's License or State Identification Card.  You may register on-line at:


What do I do if I moved?

If you have moved, you must notify the Election Division, in writing. If you moved into DuPage County from another jurisdiction you must complete a new registration.

You may transfer your registration online at:


Will I automatically be registered to vote when I renew my driver's license?  

No. However, you will be given the opportunity to register to vote at that time. If you are already registered to vote and have changed your address, you may sign the voter registration application to and we will use that application to update your address.


Do I ever have to re-register to vote? 

No. You do not need to re-register to vote unless you move to a different address or change your name.


What forms of identification may be needed when I register to vote?

When registering before a deputy registrar, you need two forms of identification with one showing your current address.

If you register by mail, then you must send with the application either: a copy of a current and valid photo identification, or a copy of a current utility bill, lease agreement, rental agreement, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document which shows your current name and address.

If you do not provide the information required above, then you will be required to provide the information the first time you vote in person.


Where can I go to register to vote?

You may register to vote at any of the following places:

  • The Election Division office
  • City and Village offices
  • Township offices
  • With a Precinct Committeeperson
  • Some schools
  • Some public libraries
  • Some labor groups
  • Some civic groups
  • Some corporations
  • Military recruitment offices

Voter registration applications may be offered at Driver's License Facilities as part of driver's services.

View a list of registration locations.


How can I obtain a copy of my voter's identification card?

To obtain a copy of your voter's card, you may email our office or call (630) 407-5600 and request one. You will need to provide your name, address and date of birth. We will generate the card upon your request and mail it to you. If you wish to pick up your card however, please be aware you will be required to show proof of identity.


When am I officially registered to vote?

As soon as you receive a voter ID card in the mail, you can consider yourself registered. You should receive an ID card approximately 45 days after you register. Call the Election Division if you do not receive it within this time frame at (630) 407-5600. Check your registration status.


What is the process used to purge a voter from the file?

The process for purging a voter from the voter registration file is dictated by the State of Illinois Statute as well as the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA). The Election Division is required, every 2 years, to send to each registered voter a non-forwardable notice, usually the voter's identification card.   If the post office returns the notice as undeliverable the Election Division is required to generate a forwardable confirmation notice to the individual advising the voter of the need to update their information.  If the individual does not return the notice or the post office returns it as undeliverable the voter is suspended. If after 2 General Elections the suspended voter has not updated the record to the current information the voter is deleted from the file. This entire process takes about 5 years. Voters will also be cancelled upon receipt of a death notice or notice of registration in a different jurisdiction.


When may I register to vote?

Registration is open year-round except during the 27-day period just prior to an election and during the 2-day period after each election.



What are the hours for voting?  

The polls open at 6:00 a.m. and close at 7:00 p.m.


Are alien residents allowed to vote at the county level?

No, alien residents are not allowed to vote. In order to vote, you must be a registered voter and a U.S. Citizen.


Can I still vote if I misplaced my voter's identification card?

If you are a registered voter at your current address, you may vote without presenting your voter identification card.  Having a voter's registration card is not proof of a current registration.


Can I vote at another location, other than the one listed on my voter's card, but still in the County?

On Election Day a registered voter may only vote at the location assigned for the voter's precinct. This location will have an electronic record of every registered voter of the precinct.


Will I need any identification when I vote?

You are not required to show identification at the polling place if you are registered to vote from the address where you reside. The only exception to this is if you registered BY MAIL and failed to include the necessary identification with the registration.

If you registered by sending in a mail-in application, and did not supply the required identification, two forms of identification may be required before casting a ballot.


When I vote at the polling place, will I be given a receipt verifying how I voted?

No, you will not receive a printed receipt of your vote. A receipt is produced but kept in the machine as a permanent record and returned to the Election Authority. You will, however, receive a voter participation certificate that is attached to your Application to Vote. The voter participation certificate indicates the ballot style you should have voted.


Will I have to vote for every office or can I just vote for the main candidates and leave some of the minor votes blank?

You may cast a vote for any office you choose to vote.  If you choose not to vote for a particular race or referendum it will not invalidate the ballot.  Only the races you voted in will be counted.


Can I still vote after I move?

Voter eligibility depends on when you move. If you move within 27 days of an election in the same precinct, you can vote a full ballot by completing the appropriate affidavit at your polling location.  If you move more than 30 days before the election within the County and do not transfer your registration, you can vote for Federal offices, in an even year election only, after completing a "Fail Safe" affidavit at your old polling place.  In an odd year election, you are not eligible to vote.

In a Federal Election, if you move within 30 days before the election outside of your precinct, but you still live in the State, and do not transfer your registration, you can vote a full ballot in your old polling place after completing an affidavit. If you moved more than 30 days before the election out of the County and did not transfer your registration, you cannot vote.



Do you provide campaign finance data? If so, where and how are they obtained?  If not, why not? Where or where else is this provided?  What is the State law governing disclosure?

The campaign finance/disclosure information is handled by the DuPage County Clerk's office.

Information may be obtained at the County Clerk website or by calling (630) 407-5500.


Where can I find online information on the actual voting records of our legislature, to see which forums they voted for or against?

The following links will provide that information:

For the U.S. Senate go to

For the Illinois legislature go to

Are election maps of the various townships in DuPage County available for purchase?

Yes, the township maps are available for purchase at $3.00 per township. Order maps online