Employment Opportunity: Additional Opportunities
Title: Deputy Sheriff
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Sheriffs Merit Commission
Salary: $60,753 annually
IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN LAW ENFORCEMENT, the DuPage County Sheriff’s Merit Commission is currently accepting applications for lateral transfers to the position of Deputy Sheriff in the Law Enforcement Bureau of the Office of the Sheriff of DuPage County.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED WITH OR WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS:
An employee in this class, under general supervision, preserves and protects life, property, and the rights of all citizens to live in peace; enforces the laws in a fair and impartial manner; serves and executes all legal processes; prevents crime and maintains the safety and order as well as operates in a proactive manner to prevent criminal activity; initiates and conducts investigations of criminal activity; responds to calls for service; conducts follow-up investigations; identifies and arrests criminal offenders and persons wanted on criminal warrants or Civil Court Order; assists with the prosecution of cases; patrols an assigned area for the prevention of crime and enforcement of laws and ordinances; investigates suspicious conditions, activities or persons; arrests violators of laws and ordinances; directs traffic and enforces traffic laws; searches prisoners for weapons or articles; enforces rules and regulations of the office policy and procedures; and handles other duties as assigned.
YOU MUST BE CURRENTLY WORKING AS A FULL-TIME CERTIFIED POLICE OFFICER AND:
• Be currently employed as a Deputy Sheriff or Police and/or Peace Officer in the State of Illinois, and have, immediately preceding the date of application, two years of full-time continuous experience with the same law enforcement agency where currently employed.
• Be in good standing with your department as of the date of application as well as the date of certification by the Commission.
• Have successfully completed the Illinois Basic Police Officer Training, have attended and successfully completed training in an Illinois Law Enforcement Academy and be currently certified by the State of Illinois as a Law Enforcement Officer and/or Peace Officer.
• Successfully pass a P.O.W.E.R. test and/or provide a valid P.O.W.E.R. card.
• Be acceptable to the Commission following an investigation and pass a background, reputation and character examination conducted by the Sheriff’s Office, or an agency or company licensed to conduct background investigations, as authorized by the Sheriff’s Office.
• Pass an oral interview by the Commission
• Complete the Merit Commission’s regular application.
Additionally, all applicants who are appointed from the candidate list for lateral transfer to Deputy Sheriff must successfully complete a one (1) year probationary period as a Deputy Sheriff during which time they are subject to discharge and termination by the Sheriff at will.
Starting salary is $60,753.
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY MAIL-IN APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. There is no fee to apply. Please contact the Merit Commission at email@example.com to request an application. In addition, you will be required to provide a copy of your birth certificate or naturalization paperwork, a copy of your college transcripts certifying completion of 60 credit hours, OR high school diploma or GED, and a copy of your law enforcement certificate.
If you have any questions, please email the Merit Commission: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Office of the Sheriff of DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer