DuPage County Strategic Plan
The Strategic Plan presents a vision and priorities for DuPage County's future and outlines the role of County government in achieving that future.
DuPage County government will work to ensure that its communities will always be desirable places to live, work, and raise families where all are welcomed, accepted, and valued, by providing innovative cost-effective services, promoting a high quality of life for all residents, and acting as a leader with local and regional partners in anticipating issues and developing solutions.
The DuPage County Strategic Plan is made up of three core components, which establish a hierarchy for implementation. The three components of the Strategic Plan are:
- Strategic Imperatives - During the plan development process DuPage County identified five strategic imperatives which serve as basic policy challenges affecting the organization.
Strategies - The County developed high-level strategies to address each strategic imperative and provide structure for the Strategic Plan. While directly supporting the five imperatives, the high-level strategies also provide context for each
operational strategy, and cross multiple departments and policy areas.
Strategies - Each high-level strategy in the Strategic Plan is supported by various operational strategies which serve to guide departments in implementation of their operational plans. Operational strategies provide structure for each department
and connect back to both a corresponding high-level strategy and strategic imperative. At the departmental level, operational strategies are pursued through designated tasks and are complemented by performance targets where applicable.
Strategic Imperatives and Strategies
The following imperatives and strategies are detailed in the
Strategic Plan for DuPage County Government:
Quality of Life
The County must define and fulfill its role in supporting and enhancing the quality of life for County residents.
- Keep people safe
- Maintain the social service safety net
- Protect and enhance natural resources and infrastructure
The County must undertake comprehensive financial planning to ensure a sound and sustainable fiscal future.
- Plan and prioritize
- Optimize cost containment
- Identify, assess, and secure funding opportunities
The County must continue to enhance a culture that promotes excellence in customer service to an increasingly diverse population.
- Improve access to County resources
- Provide standards-based customer service training and professional development
- Enhance public outreach
The County must build on the successes of the ACT Initiative and implement principles of quality and leadership across government.
- Reduce the size, scope and cost of local government
- Pursue operational efficiencies
- Expand and promote these principles beyond County government
The County must foster the continued growth of its economy.
- Ensure DuPage County residents have competitive job skills
- Foster economic growth and development
- Champion DuPage County as a desirable place in which to live and work
Diversity and Inclusion
The County must build upon existing initiatives and expand opportunities for our diverse population and for adults with disabilities, to promote inclusivity among our employees, businesses, and residents.
- Continue providing employment opportunities for our diverse and disabled population
- Expand opportunities for our diverse population to be a part of the procurement process
- Develop diverse local leaders
- Sustain educational and workforce training for our diverse and disabled segments of the population
County leaders, departments and staff are committed to the ongoing responsibility of implementing the Strategic Plan. County leaders will prioritize implementation while carefully reviewing the viability and financial impact of each proposal. County departments
will pursue their strategic initiatives and report progress to their parent committee which oversee implementation activities. The Strategic Planning Committee will review the overall progress and may initiate an inter-departmental review of the plan
to determine if changes are necessary.
If you would like to contact us to comment on the Strategic Plan or its implementation, please email us at