Want to learn more about DuPage County?

Sign up for County newsletters and email updates!

Search search icon

Child Support Enforcement

Child Support Enforcement Unit

The DuPage County State's Attorney's Office is committed to utilize every resource at its disposal to assist those parents, both men and women, who are struggling to raise their children without the support from the absent parent. The Child Support Enforcement Unit works to obtain financial support for their children.

The DuPage County Child Support Enforcement Program can help with:

  • Establishing paternity
  • Establishing support or modifying existing support orders
  • Enforcing existing support orders
For those absent parents who willfully refuse to pay support notwithstanding their ability to pay, this office seeks all appropriate sanctions, including jail sentences.
Who is Eligible for This Program?
ALL families with children who are entitled to financial support from an absent parent are eligible for Child Support Enforcement services whether or not they receive public assistance. Child support services are available to married, divorced and never married people.
What Is The First Step In The Application Process?

Both public aid recipients and non-public aid recipients apply for Child Support Services by calling the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (HFS) at 1-800-447-4278 or apply online.

What Are My Responsibilities?
  • You must be a resident of the State of Illinois and the legal custodian of the child(ren) in need of support.
  • You must reside in DuPage County.
  • Authorize the State's Attorney's Office to use all sources of information legally available to conduct an investigation and determine any appropriate legal action.
  • Assist by providing any information you may have which might be of use, such as a home address, phone number or known place of employment of the absent parent.
  • Provide all necessary and pertinent information and appear for interviews and court appearances as necessary.
I Don't Know Where The Other Parent Resides, Can You Help Me?
The State's Attorney's Office and the Department of Healthcare and Family Services will use all available federal, state, and local resources in its attempt to locate an absent parent.
What if There Is No Existing Support Order?
The State's Attorney's Office can take appropriate action to obtain a support order against the absent parent and for parties who are married, separated, or divorced.
The Absent Parent Refuses to Pay, Can Anything Be Done?
If an absent parent is located and refuses to pay, the State's Attorney's Office in conjunction with the Department of Healthcare and Family Services can pursue certain legal remedies, including:

  • Income withholding
  • Property liens
  • Credit Bureau reports
  • Tax fund interception
  • Non-wage garnishments
  • Contempt proceedings, including jail sentences
  • Suspension of drivers license
What If We Have An Agreement On Support?

Families that have the ability to communicate respectfully, have no history of domestic violence and have a reasonable expectation of reaching an agreement for support and parenting time are eligible for the DuPage County Agreed Support and Parenting Time Program - ASAP. The Department of Healthcare and Family Services along with the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office have created this FREE and VOLUNTARY program for families who wish to avoid contested court proceedings. For more information call 630-407-8005.

What If I Need Help With Other Issues, Such as Custody, Visitation or Out of Pocket Expenses?

Couples have the option of proceeding on their own, Pro Se, or hiring a private attorney. If you do not have an attorney, contact your local Bar Association referral service. The DuPage County Bar Association Referral Service can be reached at 630-653-9109. For assistance with visitation, mediation services are available through the DuPage County Family Center. You may call 630-407-2450 for more information or go online to www.dupageco.org/familycenter. The DuPage County State's Attorney's Office cannot assist with these private matters.

Sign Up