Building Projects and Permits for Unincorporated Areas of DuPage County
January 31, 2022 the Building & Zoning Department moved to an online permitting system - staff is available to assist those who need help by calling with questions - 630-407-6700. Appointments can be made to meet with a technician.
Submitting for permits: Accela Citizen Access will take you to the portal to begin your electronic application.
- Permits under Residential Accessory: (Deck, Detached Garage, Driveway/sidewalk, Fence, Gazebo, Lawn Irrigation system, Patio, Retaining Wall/Seat Wall, Screen Porch, Shed, Swimming Pool/Hot Tub)
- The category of Other Building Permits has choices for Communication Facilities (Cell Towers), Damage Assessment (fire/water damage), Grading Permit (residential excavation/filling or Unincorporated Stormwater permits), Operations (Temporary Tents and Membrane Systems), Parking Lots and Signs.
- Demolition permits are complete demolition of structures or an interior demolition
- Build a house - Tutorial
- Build an addition
- Build a detached garage - Tutorial
- Build a deck - Tutorial
- Build a shed - Tutorial
- Build a screen porch - Tutorial
- Build a retaining wall or seat wall
- Build a gazebo - Tutorial
Installation or Replacement Projects
- Remodel - interior or exterior alterations
- Excavate on my property - this will be under a "grading permit" now in Accela. Whether a permit is required or not please contact the sewer & water utility company for sewer or water repair or installation.
- Install a swimming pool, spa or hot tub - this is under accessory structure in Accela
- Replace window, furnace, air conditioner, water heater
- Install or replace a fence - this is under accessory structure in Accela, minimum of 3" above grade in portion of the easement & good side facing out
- Electrical work - panels upgrades or moving from overhead to underground
- Install a patio or terrace
- Install a fireplace - masonry or prefab
- Install a generator or air conditioner
- Install, replace or widen a driveway or sidewalk
- Install a lawn irrigation system
- Re-roof or reside a structure
- Install a temporary tent or membrane structure
- Install residential solar energy system
- Amend my plans - when making a change to an issued permit or submitting a spot survey prior to a backfill inspection
Demolishing a Structure
- Demolition of a structure - or an interior demo
- Commercial construction - new and additions - Tutorial
- Remodel - interior alterations
- Install a cell tower or co-location
- Install a sign(s)
- To contact the Building and Zoning Department 630-407-6700
- To contact the Public Works Department - 630-407-6800
- To contact the Division of Transportation - 630-407-6900
- To contact the Health Department - 630-682-7979
- To contact the Stormwater Department - Drainage- 630-407-6700
- To contact the Township Highway Commissioners
- Information on Highway Impact Fees
NOTE: Contact J.U.L.I.E. before you dig at 8-1-1 for underground utility locations
Learn more about Du Page County programs and services. Sign up for our free County newsletters.
Call JULIE before you dig! 8-1-1 It is a free call and service.