April is Fair Housing Month
Since 1983, as part of DuPage County's requests for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds, it has certified that it will "affirmatively further fair housing." This fair housing certification refers to Public Law 90-284 known as the Fair Housing Act, which "prohibits any person from discriminating in the sale or rental of housing, the financing of housing, or the provision of brokerage services, including otherwise making unavailable or denying a dwelling to any person, because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, or familial status."
The state of Illinois has additional protections under the Illinois Human Rights Act for ancestry, age (40+), marital status, sexual orientation, order of protection status, unfavorable military discharge, and military status.
- Fair Housing Brochure (PDF)
- A Guide for Seniors and Their Families Brochure (PDF)
- Analysis of Impediments of Fair Housing (12-2019) (PDF)
Who to Contact if you Believe your Fair Housing Rights Have Been Violated
- DuPage County Community Services - Phone: 630-407-6500 TDD: 630-407-6502 Email: email@example.com
- HOPE Fair Housing - Phone: 630-690-6500
- US Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD)
- HUD Fair Housing App (for iPhone & iPad) - View information about the HUD Fair Housing App