DuPage County Drainage Division


Welcome to the DuPage County Drainage Division. If you are unable to find an answer to your specific drainage question, please contact our office by phone at 630-407-6800 or by email at for additional assistance.

Residential Drainage Assistance Program

The DuPage County Department of Stormwater Management administers and manages the Residential Drainage Assistance Program. The objective of this program is to assist County residents in correcting drainage concerns within unincorporated areas. The department can offer technical support and/or guidance to residents if a drainage concern does not qualify for construction improvements.

Drainage FAQ's
Who maintains the storm sewers?

Within unincorporated areas of DuPage County the township in which you reside provides maintenance for road culverts and roadway ditches. If you live along a County owned road the DuPage County Department of Transportation provides maintenance within the road right of way. However, general maintenance is the responsibility of the property owner.

Click a Township to find Highway Commissioner and contact information:

There is a storm sewer near me, can I connect into it?
Before any homeowner connects directly into an existing storm sewer system, they must receive prior approval from whomever owns and maintains that system.
Why are there no storm sewers in my neighborhood?
When some neighborhoods were first developed there was less of a need for systems as drainage was designed to flow overland. As land has become more developed, there is less open space for water to flow to. Consult your local governing body to see if your area meets requirements for a drainage project.
Why does the storm sewer overflow during large storm events?
DuPage County has witnessed an increase in the size, frequency, and intensity of storm events. The majority of systems in place are unable to handle storms of this magnitude. To construct storm sewer systems that handle 100 & 500 year storm events would not be cost effective and in some cases impossible to construct within residential areas. 
Why is there standing water in my drainage easement?
In some cases a drainage easement was designed to handle large amounts of runoff, thus leaving the area saturated for longer periods after a rain event. Keeping areas clear of debris and allowing adequate sunlight to dry the area is helpful.
Why is there standing water in my yard after a rain?
Many contributing factors can result in standing water on your property, ranging from the type of soils to topographical information. Some properties simply take longer to drain than others. Please consult our office for additional information regarding your specific parcel.
My neighbor is causing flooding on my property?
If you believe that someone in your area has affected drainage through construction, development, or sump pump runoff please contact our building department at (630) 407-6700. 
What can be done about an underground spring or high water table?
If a resident believes they have an underground spring or high water table, these natural geographic occurrences cannot be altered through drainage construction by this department. For additional assistance please contact the Illinois Branch of USGS at
What qualifies me for a drainage project?
The residential drainage assistance program was created to assist neighborhoods where large flood events are preventing emergency vehicles from assisting residents, a residents health is being directly affected, and lastly, the safety of the homeowner is at risk each time it rains. 
Sign Up