Want to learn more about DuPage County?

Sign up to receive news and email updates!


Ownership Documentation for Homestead Exemptions

In regards to the Homestead Exemption applications which require proof of ownership, a legible photocopy of one of the following is acceptable:

  • Warranty Deed
  • Trustee's Deed
  • Quit Claim Deed
  • Deed in Trust with Trust Agreement
  • Title Policy (Only Schedule A)
  • Release Deed
  • Release of Mortgage
  • Articles of Agreement
  • Last Will & Testament with Death Certificate
  • Executor's Deed

The following instructions will assist you in determining what information is acceptable for proof of ownership of your property.

  1. If you have a Warranty Deed, Trustee's Deed or Quit Claim deed, please be sure you are the party that the property has been conveyed to. Also, please be sure the legal description is included with the document. It may be on a separate page.
  2. If you have a Deed in Trust, it must be accompanied by the Trust Agreement or Declaration of Trust. This second document is required to show who the beneficiaries of the trust are. Your name must be listed as one of the beneficiaries in order for you to qualify.
  3. If you have a Release Deed, please be sure that it is dated prior to January 1st of the tax year you are applying for. This document must also include a legal description of your property. This is not required on all Release Deeds. If your document does not include the legal description, it is not acceptable.
  4. If you have the Title Policy, your name must be shown as one of the insured parties. If it indicated a trust as the insured party, you must also include a Trust Agreement or Declaration of Trust per instructions listed in Number 1 on this list. This document must also include the legal Description. It is sometimes on a second page. You need only submit schedule A of the Title Policy. It is usually one or two pages.
  5. If you are submitting Articles of Agreement, they are only acceptable if your contract has not been fulfilled. If you have been issued a deed in fulfillment of the contract, that is the document we must have.
  6. If you have inherited the property, a copy of the Last Will and Testament and Death Certificate of the person willing the property to you is required.

You may obtain copies of recorded documents from the Recorder. If you are not sure the document you have will meet the requirements, please contact us at 630-407-5858.

Note: The Recorder provides copies of recorded documents, including deeds, without cost on their Online Documents Search application.

Please do not send any original documents as they will not be returned.

Sign Up