Highway Permits FAQs

The questions below have been revised to answer your basic questions. Select the question below to take you to your answer. 

Frequently Asked Questions
Who needs to apply for permits?

Anyone proposing construction within, upon, along, under or over and/or hold an event within a DuPage County Division of Transportation designated County Highway Routes (Alphabetical) (including the Illinois Prairie Path and Great Western Trail) whether they are a private homeowner, a developer, a contractor, governmental agency and/or a not-for-profit organization is/are required to make application for and obtain a highway permit for such activities. This requirement is governed and regulated under the First Amendment to the DuPage County Highway Right-of-Way Permit and Fee Ordinance #ODT-0001A-06.

Are there any exceptions to the permitting requirement?
Yes. State of Illinois agencies (i.e. the Illinois Department of Transportation, etc.) and Federal agencies (i.e. Army Corp of Engineers, Department of Natural Resources, etc.) are the only exemptions from this requirement within their jurisdictional boundaries. (However, permission and construction are usually done through an inter-governmental agreement or County resolution between said agencies for the collaborated work.)

Please note that when municipalities work under an IDOT section letting (i.e. MFT or CMAQ funding project), and the municipality is the lead agency, the municipality is still required to obtain a permit from the County for said work within County designated rights-of-way.
Are there fees involved with my application?

Yes. Under Ordinance #ODT-0001A-06, Sec. 19-35 "FEES":

  • Par. A  Application Fee: "Every person, company or entity that applies for a highway permit shall pay, at the time of application, a non-refundable application fee in the amount as set forth in section 19-44: Fee Schedule." Under the Fee Schedule, the fee is $100.00 due at the time of submittal. Only one application fee is due per submittal.
  • Par. B  Permit Fee(s): "Every person, company or entity who shall locate, place, construct, repair, replace or remove any facility or perform any activity in, over, upon, across, through, under or along any County highway and/or trail rights-of-way shall pay permit fees for the use of such County highway and/or trail rights-of-way according to the terms and conditions of this Ordinance and as set forth in section 19-44: Fee Schedule." These fees vary based upon the type of construction proposed to be performed within the County's right-of-way. Fees are accumulated, totaled and must be paid prior to issuance of the permit to perform the work.
Are there any exceptions to these fees?
Under Ordinance #ODT-0001A-06, Sec. 19-40 "EXEMPTIONS":

  • Par. A: "There are no exemptions to the application fee required as set forth in section 19-35: FEES, paragraph A of this Ordinance when the County is the underlying owner of the highway or trail rights-of-way."
  • Par. B: "A permit applicant may be exempted from the permit fees set forth in section 19-35:  FEES, paragraph B of this Ordinance:"
  • Sub-Par. 1: "by submitting proof that it has previously been granted a permanent right to use or occupy the County highway and/or trail rights-of-way or that the County otherwise has insufficient interest in the County highway and/or trail rights-of-way.  A decision to grant an exemption shall be made by the County Engineer or the duly authorized designee. In the event the County Engineer fails to grant an exemption, the decision may be appealed within fourteen (14) calendar days upon written notice to the County c/o the Division of Transportation, 421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, Illinois 60187-2553.  The Transportation Committee shall hear the appeal at its first regularly scheduled meeting following receipt of notice, subject to the provisions of the Illinois Open Meetings Act, and its decision shall be the final action of the County with respect to the exemption; or"
  • Sub-Par. 2: "when a local government agency performs emergency repairs of existing utilities or facilities, the waiver of the permit fees will be at the discretion of the County Engineer or the duly authorized designee and will be documented thus. However, a permit is required and the application fee will remain in effect for said emergency construction or activity; or" 
  • Sub-Par. 3: "when a utility performs relocation, adjustment or removal of existing utilities or facilities due to a government agency project. The waiver of the permit fees will be at the discretion of the County Engineer or the duly authorized designee and will be documented thus. However, a permit is required and the application fee will remain in effect for said work." 
Where can I get a copy of the Permit Ordinance?
Contact the DuPage County Clerk's Office (630/407-5500 Mon.- Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays) or stop by the Clerk's office at the JTK Administration Building 421 N. County Farm Road, Rm 1-200,  Wheaton, IL 60187 and request a copy of the Ordinance (ask for the Ordinance by number ODT-0001A-06). There is a nominal fee charged by the Clerk's Office for the copies.
What if I have questions regarding the Ordinance?
Any questions with regards to the fees and/or ordinance content shall be addressed to the DuPage County Engineer, or the duly authorized designee, c/o the Division of Transportation JTK Administration Building 421 N. County Farm Road, Rm 2-200 Wheaton, IL 60187.
What types of Highway Permits are issued?

Under the Ordinance, permits are issued for:

Roadway Widening / Signal Improvement

Roadway Widening.Signal Improvement

Public Utility Relocation


Special Road & Trail Events

Special Event

Can I meet with County representatives to review a preliminary development plan?
The developer/property owner can schedule a pre-application meeting with representatives from the DuPage County Department of Economic Development & Planning to discuss the permit requirements for the proposed development. Representatives of all applicable County departments will be invited to attend to answer your questions/concerns. A summary of required data items that the developer should bring to the pre-application meeting is available from the DuPage County Department of Economic Development & Planning (630/407-6700 M-F 8 am to 4:30 pm, excluding holidays).

A separate meeting can be scheduled with the Division of Transportation Highway Permitting Department with regards to roadway access/improvements by sending a written request to the department's general e-mail address at: Conceptual/geometric plan review comments can be provided verbally at the meeting. However, written comments will not be provided without the provision of an official application for Highway Permit and the required Application Fee.
What is required to obtain a Highway Permit?
Items required (as are applicable) for submittal are, as follows:

Construction - preliminary submittal requirements:

  1. Application completed (signed by Owner)
  2. Application fee provided ($100.00)
  3. Plat of survey, lot, ALTA or topographic survey (including legal description)
  4. Two- (2) sets of preliminary/conceptual site plans

Construction - full submittal requirements:

  1. Two (2) sets of complete, signed (licensed Illinois professional engr.) and sealed engineering plans
  2. One (1) copy of preliminary Plat of Subdivision/Re-subdivision or Planned Unit Development (P.U.D.)
  3. One (1) copy of the Stormwater Management Report (with cfs release rates to County DOT storm sewer system)
  4. Two (2) copies of contract documents/specifications
  5. Two (2) copies of traffic signal special provisions
  6. Traffic impact analysis/site trip generation study/IDS

Construction - additional items requirements, following approval of final engineering plans or event information, as are applicable, to obtain a Highway Permit:

  1. Certificate of Insurance (naming 'County of DuPage c/o Division of Transportation' as additional insured and certificate holder) including liability endorsements and cancellation rider
  2. Highway Permit Bond (per County Ordinance requirements)
  3. Engineer's Probable Cost Estimate or contractor's contract documents for all applicable work in County right-of-way (to verify aggregate bond amount required)
  4. Permit fees (per fee calculation worksheet provided under review by County)
  5. Copy of DuPage County Roadway Impact Fee receipt for any development improvements (not applicable for sole utility work)

Special Road & Trail Events submittal requirements:

  1. Special event route map (limits on County system) 
  2. Event flyer with waiver (including 'County of DuPage c/o Division of Transportation, its employ and assigns')
  3. Rugaard Gazebo use permit copy (from Villa Park Parks and Recreation Dept.), if applicable
Who do I contact to perform Highway Permit related inspections?
Once the Highway Permit has been issued, contact the DuPage County Division of Transportation permitting inspection staff to request an appointment or schedule an inspection for any permitted activities. Contact the Dept. at 630/407-6900 (M-F 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except holidays). Due to staff restrictions and amount of calls received a minimum of 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays) is required to schedule the officer.
What types of inspections are required for Highway Permits?
Inspections are dependent upon the type of permit that is issued and the work proposed. Inspections are required for, but not limited to:

  • Traffic control (proper placement of advance warning signage and type, changeable message board language, arrow board, barricades/cones, etc.)
  • Entrance/roadway aggregate subbase course (materials, depth, compaction, etc.)
  • Entrance/roadway curb/gutter (aggregate base depth/compaction, location/grade, material, type/size, framing, structures, etc.)
  • Entrance/roadway pavement (materials, course depths, edge preparation, fabric placement, primer, etc.)
  • Striping (materials, placement, reflective marker installation, etc.)
  • Striping (materials, placement, reflective marker installation, etc.)
  • Storm sewer (bedding/haunching and backfill materials, pipe material, joints/rings, frame/lid type, etc.)
  • Traffic Signals (mast arm/post base location, framing, control box/detector loop placement, etc.)
  • Sidewalk/path (framing, grading, aggregate base depth/compaction, expansion board placement/spacing, etc.)
  • Landscaping (type of material, placement/spacing, protection, anchors, mulching, etc.)
How do I get my Highway Permit released?
Upon completion of all permitted construction and restoration of the County's right of way, a written request needs to be provided to the County to conduct a final inspection of said permitted improvements. Complete a Bond Release Request form (found on this website under the 'On-line Forms/Specs.' section), sign and fax it to the Division of Transportation noted on the form. The project will be inspected on average within 1-2 weeks. You will be notified of any deficiencies that will need to be addressed prior to release of the bond. Otherwise, the bond will be released and returned to the remitter's/owner's attention. Additionally, an official release of the permit from the County will also be provided.

Please note that due to weather conditions and restraints, final inspections will not be performed between November 15 and April 15 annually. When weather and conditions permit, the final inspection will be performed.
Sign Up