Want to learn more about DuPage County?

Sign up for County newsletters and email updates!


Workers Compensation

Workers Compensation

Illinois Department of Labor Notification of Work Related Fatalities, Amputations, Loss of an Eye, and In-Patient Hospitalizations
In the event of the death of an employee from a work related (non-vehicle involved) incident, including a fatality caused by a heart attack at work, the Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL) must be notified within 8 hours.  Work-related inpatient hospitalizations, loss of an eye or amputations must be reported to IDOL within 24 hours. During normal business hours the employee(s) Manager/Supervisor must report this to Human Resources by calling 630-407-6300. During non-business hours report incidents to IDOL by calling 800-782-7860. IDOL will conduct an on-site investigation.

Have the following information ready when you call to report the incident

  • Department employee works in
  • Location of incident
  • Time of incident
  • Number of fatalities or inpatient hospitalized employees
  • Reporter's contact information to include name and phone number
  • Brief description of the incident

OSHA Reporting Reference Poster

If you are unable to reach Human Resources or Risk Management call IDOL direct at 1-312-793-2600 and speak to an IDOL representative 

Employee Accident Forms

Frequently Asked Questions
What is Workers' Compensation?
Workers' Compensation is a form of insurance providing weekly wage replacement and medical benefits by law to an employee who has sustained a work-related injury or illness. Most every employee who is hired, injured whose employment is localized in the state of Illinois is covered by workers' compensation. Coverage begins the first day on the job.
Who provides Workers' Compensation benefits?
DuPage County is responsible for providing Workers' Compensation benefits. The County is self-insured, and CorVel Corporation serves as the third-party administrator for the program and handles payments of claims.
I have been injured on the job. What do I do next?
Below is a checklist to follow when you sustain a job-related injury:

  • Notify your supervisor immediately (notice to a co-worker who is not in a lead or management position is not considered appropriate notice)
  • Contact the CorVel Employee Injury Call Center at 877-764-3574
  • Complete the Employee Statement of Injury/Illness (available through the internet, your supervisor or the Human Resources Department.) The Employee Statement of Injury/Illness form must be completed even if you do not receive medical care for your injury.
  • Seek medical attention promptly, if necessary
  • If you seek medical attention, notify your treating physician that your injury/illness is job-related and ask that all information pertaining to your medical care be directed to:     CorVel Corporation     P.O. Box 4400     Lisle, IL 60532     Phone: 630-874-7300
  • Complete the online Preferred Provider Program Participation Election
  • Submit all medical documentation and work-status reports regarding your work-related injury to the Human Resources Department

Do not use the County's group insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO, nor Blue Advantage) to cover medical expenses for work-related injuries. All medical services, (including medication prescribed for the injury) will be paid by the County's Workers' Compensation insurance if the injury is deemed compensable.
What benefits are provided?

Medical Care

Eligible employees are entitled to receive all necessary first aid, medical, surgical and hospital services reasonably required to treat the injury. CorVel Corporation has implemented the Illinois CorCare Preferred Provider Program (PPP) for our workers' compensation claims. There are more than 50,000 providers in CorVel's workers' compensation PPP. You may choose to be treated by any of the medical providers of your choice in our PPP. Our list of PPP medical providers may be viewed at www.CorVel.com/ppo-lookup. After a report of injury, you must complete the Preferred Provider Program Participation Election. Declination of participation is subject to the rules set forth by the Illinois Workers' Compensation laws. 

Compensation for Lost Time

If you sustain a job-related injury and the treating physician sends you home for the remainder of the day, you will receive pay for your regularly scheduled work hours on that day. If the injury results in the inability to work the next day or longer and your injury is compensable, you will be eligible for Temporary Total Disability Benefits (TTD). There is a waiting period of three (3) working days before you will be eligible for TTD. You may use sick or vacation time to cover this period. The current TTD rate under the Workers' Compensation Act is 66 and 2/3 percent of your gross average weekly wage prior to the date of injury, subject to certain maximums and minimums as determined by law. TTD benefit payments are not subject to tax.

If it appears likely that you will be unable to return to your job for 30 days or longer, contact the Human Resources Department at 407-6300, as this may affect your IMRF and group medical benefits.

All follow up doctor visits, specialist and or physical therapy appointments should be scheduled during non-working hours, as these types of absences will not be paid under Workers' Compensation.

Family Medical Leave Act

If you have been off work for a work-related injury or illness, Family Medical Leave (FMLA) will be simultaneously designated, if the leave is also FMLA qualifying. An employee may be required to use any accrued vacation, personal days and sick time during any unpaid portion of FMLA providing it does not interfere with Workers' Compensation benefits. Employee should refer to Policy 5.9 - Family Medical Leave.

What happens when I'm ready to return to work?
If you have been off work you must submit a written statement from your physician authorizing your return to work. This statement must fully explain any restrictions or limitations that could affect your ability to perform your job. If you have work restrictions, some departments may have duties that can be assigned to accommodate temporary restrictions.
Sign Up